January 9, 2013

Sick 'n' Lovin' It!

I've had a thought on my mind for quite some time, but just now found a few minutes to put it into words.

I LOVE MY JOB!!

There, I said it!

Seriously, though, I never believed I could be such a hard-working employee. I thought I've seen busy before, but nothing like what I've been doing at Excelsior Academy.

I think back to times at my engineering office where I was working late nights, spending upwards of 80 hours per week to meet my employer's demands. It was all-around agonizing work. I suffered from exhaustion, malnutrition, and terrible hygiene (yeah, I know, gross, but deal with it).

Guess what? Now I work 120 hours per week, make half as much as I used to, and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! No need for employer threats and consequences to hang over my head, either. I'm doing all of it for my students, all 130 of them. I care for my 7th and 8th graders more than I could have imagined.

This past week has been especially eye-opening. I've pushed through some terrible trials to show up AND perform my job, trials that you never would have seen me overcome before becoming a teacher. It's all about these kids!

No comments: