August 31, 2011

Beginning, Middle, and End Blogfest!


As with J. A. Bennett, I couldn't resist and had to join in the fun of this blogfest by Kate Larkindale. In this exercise, you post the opening, middle and ending paragraph of your novel. Here are those paragraphs in INSIGHT. Enjoy! (Don't worry... no spoilers here)

The Beginning
Gil wiped the blood from his dagger, then joined his four comrades around their small fire. “Keep your voices down, Rayders. Have you forgotten why we have traveled so far?”

The Middle
A sharp pain in his ribs startled Lon out of sleep. It was still dark, but enough light crept through the stable doorway to reveal a man standing over him with a staff pointed at his chest. Surprised, Lon swept his leg under the intruder’s, knocking him to the ground with a thud. Lon grabbed the staff, jumped on top of his attacker, and pressed the staff against the man’s throat.

The End
“The balance of the world’s energy has shifted, Mellai,” Llen replied. “Appernysia needs you.”

8 comments:

Kate Larkindale said...

Oh... Yours makes sense too. I love the descriptions of the landscapes. They're very real, even if i suspect this is a fantasy novel...

Kristin Baker said...

Love the names you've chosen for your story! Names really make the characters and places pop, in my opinion.

Jenny S. Morris said...

I've already entered into your world a little. Now I want to know more, and I'm with Kristin. I love the names.

Jennie Bennett said...

I am so glad you did this! I've been wanting to read a sample of your work and here it is. I totally love it. The last line is one of those that makes me go, "is that it?"

E. Arroyo said...

Nice. I'm there with your MC. Good job.

Anonymous said...

What I love about these paragraphs is the sense of worldbuilding. I feel like I already know and believe this world. And I want to read more!

Anonymous said...

I love your descriptions! It also leaves me intrigued as to what genre it is, since it seems like it could be one of several genres.

Anonymous said...

I particularly like the sensory details at the end of the middle paragraph. Nice job! :-)